27 January 2014

Post Surgery and an ED trip

It's been a long while since I updated the blog. And a lot of details have already been forgotten. So now on most of the post relating to what happened until the recent times will only be a summary.

By day two post Operation, he got better alhamdullilah and he spoke little by little. Hubby was so relieved that Allah answered his supplication to save him from the ileostomy. He told me while he was put in the recovery room after the operation, the first thing that he wanted to know upon getting consciousness was to see if there was a 'bag'. Although someone among the staff convinced him there was no bag, hubby worried about the tube that ran from his right abdomen, just around the place where the stoma nurse mark the spot incase he needed ileostomy.  Poor thing! May Allah ease his worries.
 
On the second day, hubby was given ice cubes to eat. From third day or so, hubby was given soft food. If my memory serves right, he passed wind on day two or three. Probably, a very awaited effect of the success of the surgery as the doctor kept  enquiring about it. By the third night, or so hubby managed to walk holding my hands in the corridor of his ward. Alhamdullilah he could revert to his usual diet. This same time his catheter for passing urine was removed. Although with some initial worry, Alhamdullilah hubby could pass urine and open bowels. Glory to Allah! The mere passing of urine itself is a great blessing from Allah. If only we could thank Him enough! Only when a blessing is taken away, we realize how precious it was. The external drain that was still draining liquids from the surgery site was removed and the area was stitched.

Dad used to drop me and my youngest one at Fremantle Hospital at 8 am and come in the evening after Magreb Prayer (After Sunset Prayer) to pick us. For the time period I was with hubby, I managed to offer my Obligatory prayers in hubby's room. My dad brought along my mom and our son one evening so they could see hubby. It was a special time in my life to help my dear one for the sake of earning Allah's pleasure. Hubby was in hospital for less than five days post operatively. He was given ample pain medication through a hand controlled pump . All thanks to Allah. The nursing staff who looked after hubby were exceptional. May Allah gift them with guidance to The Truth.

May Allah bless my dad abundantly for driving everyday back and forth to drop me at the hospital so that I could remain beside my dear hubby and care him.

May Allah bless my dear mom with the best for looking after my playful toddler each and every single day I was away.

Hubby was discharged after few days. We returned home. He required 4 to 6 weeks of rest. My current recollection is that he was on a normal pain killer like panadene forte or similar for a few more days.

My son was very excited to see dad back home alhamdullilah. We fixed a baby gate for the room where hubby was so the little  ones dont hurt the recovering one and the healing wounds.

We kept a chart for "food consumed - bowel movement frequency". Nothing that made a major difference was learnt through this chart. We certainly did notice some players. But were left puzzled as to why some days he tolerated them while other days it completely left hubby going back and forth from the loo.

On one such day, hubby was left very dehydrated, hence we thought of going to Fremantle Hospital Emergency to rule out any issues. Alhamdulilah, the doctors assured us that he is fine generally,  just a little dehydrated. We returned home and pretty soon realized that erratic bowel movements have become a new part of my hubby's life.  Alhamdulilah for Islam we have always something to motivate us.

Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) “When Allaah wills good for His slave, He hastens the punishment for him in this world, and when Allaah wills ill for His slave, he withholds the punishment for his sins from him his sin until he comes with all his sins on the Day of Resurrection.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (2396)