11 July 2013

Surgery

One March 5 Tuesday, as hubby was returning from work he received a call from Fremantle Hospital. The surgery date was confirmed and scheduled for Friday! We just had two days for preparing. SubhanAllah! And time was flying.

So, next day hubby informed work and got his medical leave approved until April 22. Then, we finished some essential shopping that evening at Kmart and Coles.

Then, on Thursday hubby had to follow a pre-Colonoscopy diet, i.e clear fluids and preps to flush the colon. It was pretty much the same ordeal as in January.

Hubby was asked to pack for a five-days post-surgery stay at hospital. And I packed a baby bag with sufficient supplies for my nine weeks old baby to last two days. Not that we were allowed to stay overnight at hospital. I didn't want to run out of baby items at any cost. My dad and mom were still with us Alhamdulilah.

Day of Surgery

On Friday, after offering the Fajr Prayer(Obligatory Dawn Prayer of Muslims), we got ready and headed to the hospital. Mom stayed home with my toddler boy. Hubby, myself, dad and baby reached Fremantle Hospital by 6:30 am. Soon after that, hubby was given a spot in a waiting area for the patients having operation. The stoma nurse marked a spot on his abdomen incase he needs an ileostomy. He had to change into a hospital gown and slip on a compression stocking. Soon, obs and blood checks were done. The Registrar doctor met hubby and everything was ready. Hubby seemed to be the youngest one in the queue.

It was 7am. The nurse told me that hubby would be leaving in five minutes. My heart was pounding and I was struggling for words. Somehow managed to say bye to him. We conveyed Asalamu Alaikum (Islamic Greeting meaning, Peace be upon You) and the staff wheeled him away in the strechter towards the elevator. Beyond this point was Public Restricted Area. It was unbelievable for me, that this was actually happening in my life as I watched the elevator door shut.

I can always look back and say it was one of the heaviest moments in my life. Frankly speaking, these words can't put across anything much. The only reason I was stopping myself from breaking down was because dad was with me. And I feared he may worry about my condition. Also, my hubby quite often advise me to be a strong mom for our children.
I had never gone through anything this hurting. I comforted myself Allah helps the believers. All the bits and pieces of Quranic verses mentioning patience, calamities etc were running in my mind. All thanks to Allah for helping me not lose focus and spend my time in His remembrance.

Me, baby and dad were back in the waiting room. A few female employees arranged a room for me to nurse my little one. She was sleeping for hours together that day. Alhamdulilah that took away some additional stress and I tried to maintain my focus in reading Quran and seeking Allah's mercy.

I was told that hubby's current condition can be obtained from the reception. So at 1pm, I went up there to ask and was told that the surgery is pretty much finished and he will be taken to a recovery room next. By then, dad looked up for a mosque for praying the Jumu'ah prayers (A congregational prayer at midday on Fridays). I met a muslim family in the waiting room. Alhamdulilah, they were kind enough to take my dad in their car for the Jumu'ah and drop him back to the hospital. May Allah reward them abundantly. I managed to pray my Dhuhr prayer(Obligatory Noon Prayer for Muslims) in the same room where I went to nurse my baby.

I was so overwhelmed missing hubby by now, I carried on seeking Allah's protection. By around 2:30pm, I received a call informing me that hubby is now in recovery room and is well. When dad came after Jumuah prayer, I shared the news and we thanked Allah immensely.

About an hour later, the receptionist told me that hubby is now being taken to his private room and we could go and see him.

So we followed the instruction to reach his room. I was so panicky and eager I could almost see myself tripping on my Jilbab ( A flowy modest attire of Muslim Women).

We reached hubby's room and walked in. Especially Merciful is Allah. I couldn't accept what I was seeing at that point. Hubby always had a fear of needles and hospitals. But here I was seeing him wired to all these gadgets and tubes coming out from him. As we walked closer he opened his eyes and smiled. Me and dad conveyed Salam, but I dont remember well if hubby replied back. He tried to smile but his lips were too dry. The anesthesia didnt wear off yet maybe, he fell back asleep.

We stayed beside hubby until the visitor's time ended. It was very difficult for me to leave for home seeing him in such a heart breaking situation. He was still very drowsy at this point. He needed rest.

We returned back home. Alhamdulilah my toddler behaved well with my mom. He being too busy with play did not notice that his dad didn't come home tonight. One day InshaAllah I will relate this to him and remind him of  how Allah's trials are indeed a source for expiation of our sins.

The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If Allaah loves a people, He tries them, and whoever has patience will have patience, and whoever is anxious will be anxious.” (Reported by Imaam Ahmad; Saheeh al Jaami’ , 1706).

May Allah shower us with patience.
May Allah bless my parents  for assisting us in every way they honestly could.